Lunch Rooms - What Industrial Workplaces Need to Know
Industrial work has its fair share of challenges. The hours are often long, the days repetitive, and the tasks physically demanding.
As employees contend with these factors, it’s important that their working environment enables them to be as productive and content as possible. One of the best ways to ensure this is to provide a well-designed space in which to unwind, enjoy a meal, and recharge for the hours ahead.
Why Upgrade Your Industrial Lunch Room
There are few things more demoralising for employees than a lack of adequate workplace facilities. It’s understandably hard to feel inspired, respected, and passionate about your employer when you’re provided with only a milk crate on which to sit and wolf down your lunch.
Those that do have access to a designated lunch area often find that it amounts to little more than a sparsely appointed room with few amenities, less-than-ideal surrounds, and inadequate seating.
It’s little wonder, then, why so many in this situation end up depressed, or altogether leaving the company that treats them with such contempt.
This is certainly unfortunate, but it doesn’t have to be the case. With some careful planning and a little help from the experts, it’s possible to create an environment that will keep employees comfortable, satisfied, and prepared to perform at their peak.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN UPGRADING YOUR BREAK ROOM
When designing your break room, there are a number of important elements to bear in mind. These include:
- Location - Break rooms should be positioned away from toilets, and in a spot easily accessible by all members of your team. Ample exposure to sunlight is ideal, and access to natural ventilation will help staff relax and refresh.
- Air Conditioning - Sometimes the weather outside or in the warehouse is far from perfect, so be sure to equip your break room with an air conditioning system appropriate for its size. This will go a long way to creating a welcome reprieve from the stresses of work.
- Storage - When your break area is sufficiently furnished, expect it to be utilised by a larger portion of your workforce. Fitting your room with cupboards, pigeon holes, and cabinetry will ensure it's ready to accommodate these staff members and their belongings.
- Seating - The seating arrangement of your break room is vital for employee comfort. Opt for ‘cafe style’ furniture rather than fixed chairs, as it allows the space to be reshuffled as your needs change.
- Waste - When given the opportunity to do so, most people will act in an environmentally responsible way. Providing separate, clearly-marked bins for recyclables, food scraps, and landfill will reduce your business’ ecological impact.
- Appliances - It’s best to keep it simple when it comes to shared workplace appliances. Choose a microwave that is easily used and cleaned, a big fridge with plenty of shelves, and multiple TVs with low or controlled volume. The last thing you want is to create a rift in your workforce over a single shared facility.
HOW FAST FITOUTS CAN HELP
Whether it’s fitting out a new space, or remodelling an existing one, Fast Fitouts’ decades of industry experience means we deliver break rooms loved by employees and employers alike.If you want to keep your workforce loyal, satisfied, and productive, speak with the experts at Fast Fitouts today via our website, or by phoning 1300 30 38 31.
Lets GEt The Ball Rollng!Enquire Now
Share this Post
Retail Renovation in Brisbane - West End Co. Case Study
Fast Fitouts created a retail space both timeless and trendy. Find out how here.
Small Fit Outs Made Easy
Discover what makes Fast Fitouts perfect for minor commercial renovations, alterations, or fit outs.
Brisbane Commercial Renovation - Aussie Traveller Case Study
Minor renovations had a big impact for the staff and customers of this Brisbane-based business.